Friday, July 18, 2008

Roadside History

One of the unexpected side benefits of riding, as previously mentioned, is the opportunity to learn some interesting local history. This sign, for example, is one that I've passed many times during my favorite loop through Georgetown. It's an unexpected site on a well traveled residential road in an area that doesn't look very historic.
Driving by, I probably wouldn't have had time to read it though, much less really think about it. But biking by offered a whole different experience. Not only was I able to read the sign in full, but I could also look around, imagine what the area must have been like more than 300 years ago and get a sense of the horror and sadness of this local tragedy. Click here for more information on The Goodrich Massacre.

2 comments:

claudia said...

Stopping on your bicycle? That is so rare when riding on the same bicycle as my hubster.

;-)

Cool sign.

Anonymous said...

One of the strangest historic markers on one of my rides marks the location of the town collective grazing area. Bizarre