Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Fitting in the miles

My schedule this week and next pose a challenge when it comes to fitting in my training. Various commitments at home and work will occupy my normal biking times and prevent me from going out for longer rides of 35-50 miles, so I've been looking for a few new and creative ways of fitting it all in. One idea I had was to ride very early in the morning before work. So that's what I tried earlier this week.

Let me start out by saying I'm totally a night owl and not an early bird. So although this wasn't as much of an exercise in self torture as voluntarily riding in heavy rain like I did on the 4th, it was a major effort for me to get my butt out the door and on my bike before 6 a.m. I managed that successfully by applying the "don't overthink it lest you talk yourself out of it" rule. Being half asleep helped in this regard, too.

After the first mile or so, though, I was good to go and actually glad to be out there. It was a beautiful morning and not too hot, unlike these last few sweltering afternoons and evenings. Few cars were on the road and the sun was streaming through the trees as it rose. I had my camera but didn't stop to take any pictures since I was on a mission to get the ride done and get home without disrupting my family or work schedule.

Overall, it was a good ride but harder than most given the time of day and my normal biorhythms. I completed an 18 mile loop with moderate hills - not my fastest but it was a great workout. I saw plenty of folks out on their bikes - some in groups - and it looks like this is a popular option. So although I'm not an early bird (and probably never will be) this worked out well and I'll probably do it again later this week and next. Assuming, of course, that I can get my butt out the door....

2 comments:

claudia said...

I'm in awe. Early AM *anything* is just so far beyond me.

Sue said...

Lisa,
Greetings from Sue Green in Boxford. I was the article about you in the Tritown transcript. I'm excited to hear you've taken up biking. I'm still biking whenever I can. If you want to hook up for a ride give let me know. I can ride anytime, any speed and any distance you want. Tell Ted I say hi.

Sue Green
greenco@comcast.net