Tuesday, July 22, 2008

First near miss

One unfortunate thing about road biking is that we have to share the road with occasionally incompetent drivers. Although I am a very careful rider, I knew it wasn't a question of if but when I would have my first encounter with one. And that would be this past Sunday morning in Topsfield Center.

I was 13 miles into a 25 mile loop. Instead of turning off before the small downtown of Topsfield, I decided to ride through it as I had done several times before and then circle back on a side street. Just as I started passing a parallel parked car, it unexpectedly pulled out of its parking spot then started an illegal U turn right in front of me. I slammed on my brakes, skidded on my back tire, pulled one foot out of my clip (no idea how I remembered to do this) and stopped just a few feet from the driver's side door. And you know, that [bleeping] driver didn't even acknowledge the accident she almost caused! She just continued smoking her cigarette, gave me a dumb blank look and continued her U turn. I was so stunned I barely muttered out a "Be more careful next time!" before I went on my way.

I spent the next mile shaken up and seething at her incompetence and the potential tire damage she caused. But then I took a big breath, then another, and looked around. There was fresh new pavement below me and beautiful scenery around me. That's the wonderful thing about riding - it's very calming and meditative in addition to being a great workout. If only we didn't have to be on the lookout for occasionally incompetent drivers...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The adrenaline hit you get with those near-misses is powerful! I had a school bus driver force me into a ditch, and ended up chasing her down and giving her an earful about her reckless endangerment and lack of regard for traffic law. I'm not sure if it would have been better to just take a deep breath...

claudia said...

Good riding skillz! I know you are a careful and attentive rider.

The car-bike situation is not good. But the alternative -- don't ride -- isn't an option. Good luck to all of us out there.