Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Forrest Gump Moment

This morning it was pouring rain outside and I needed some exercise. Having always been a fan of running in the rain - and deciding it was safer than biking - I laced up my running shoes and headed out the door. Once I made it out the driveway, I started my usual 2 mile loop.

And then I had what I'm calling my "Forrest Gump moment. " Instead of continuing my loop at the halfway point, I turned left. Then I kept running and running and running. Straight towards the edge of town. It was so weird. I couldn't seem to stop myself.

Thankfully, aided by the increasing weight of my wet running clothes, I snapped to my senses and eventually turned back.

I didn't quite make it past the town line, into the next county and beyond like Forrest. But out of the blue I did one of my longest runs in a decade or two - 65 minutes of straight running covering just under 6 miles in the pouring rain. Not long or fast by runners' standards but I got in some serious cross training. I just hope I'll be able to walk tomorrow.

And that's all I have to say about that.

3 comments:

claudia said...

Did Lisa run away from home?

;-)

(more likely, Lisa ran away from work...actually not a bad idea)

Lisa said...

You have me pegged, Claudia! Unfortunately, I worked all weekend so I wasn't able to run too far....

Anonymous said...

You can be a seriously funny writer.