Friday, November 28, 2008

Feaster Five Miler

On Thanksgiving Day, I decided to brave a crowd of over 8000 people and run the Feaster Five in Andover. I'm not really sure why I decided to do this. The idea just sort of popped into my head. Shortly thereafter, I found myself driving over to register, signing up and getting a number. Then on Thanksgiving morning, I found myself at the starting line in my running shoes in the cold with 8000 other people.

Wondering ... why did I decide to do this again?

But, you know, sometimes you have to just do these things without giving them too much thought.

No surprise, but it was a really fun time and I am so glad I did it. The people cheering on the sidelines were great and I really appreciated the few small brass bands strategically placed along the course. The event was also well organized and everyone was in a friendly and happy mood. Plus, it was an excellent workout before a big Thanksgiving meal.

I've actually done the Feaster Five before back in 1999 and 2001 - both times running the 5K. After 2001, though, I decided I wouldn't do it again (I think because of the crowds, cold and huge traffic jams).
But I'm glad I gave it another try this year. And I'm glad I went for the 5 mile route instead of the 5K. It gave me the opportunity to accomplish another "first" this year, since I've never run further than 3.2 miles in any type of organized race. It probably would have helped my time significantly had I actually trained for this event, but my pace wasn't bad for me and given the crowds.

The Feaster Five was a great way to start my Thanksgiving Day this year. Plus, the 5 mile run turned out to be a cake walk compared to the 10 hour cooking and cleaning marathon that soon followed...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened to biking?

Lisa said...

Too cold to bike these days. Now I'm into cross training until we get a warm spell. Haven't packed the bike away for the season just yet! :-)

claudia said...

I am majorly impressed that you did this race before you had to cook. Wow.