Sunday, June 15, 2008

Riding in the Mist

I haven't done too well with biking or blogging this week. June always seems to be a nutty month with very full weekends. I didn't get out for the long ride to Plum Island this weekend as I had hoped. Though when I had the original thought, I had temporarily forgotten about my daughter's lacrosse tournament on Saturday and, of course, Father's Day on Sunday. Can't be MIA for 3+ hours on that day!

Thankfully, I was able to sneak out for a late afternoon ride of about 19 miles today. It was misting out, which was a refreshing change from last week's sweltering hot mid 90s temps. For some reason, it seemed to me that the mist made the roads a little faster than they usually are. I was biking through Boxford again - very rural with many dense areas of trees alongside the road. The mist added a new dimension - everything seemed greener, browner and more earthy. The smell of the woods was strong, too, of pine and dirt and moss. And the pond I biked past had mist slowly rising from it. Wish I'd packed my camera! Almost all my rides to date have been in either hot or picture perfect weather. Riding in the mist was a refreshing change for all of my senses.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,
I'm a newspaper editor covering Boxford and a few surrounding towns. Can you shoot me an e-mail at drogers@cnc.com? I'd love to talk to you more about what you're doing.
Thanks,
Dave

claudia said...

Hmmmm. Media interest!

Put the camera in a ziplock baggie if you bring it in the mist. My camera has easily survived hard rain inside a baggie.

rkbnp said...

the roads are slicker because of the oil leaked from cars. very fine rain is the most dangerous of all. a hard rain washes it off to some extent. always be careful in the rain, just as you do with your car, anticipate turns, brake more carefully, etc....