Monday, May 19, 2008

Things I'm learning....

Being a novice road biking, I'm learning a few things as I try to get myself out the door and on my bike on a regular basis....
  • Always be on the look out for crazy drivers!
  • Don't ever forget your shoes are clipped to your pedals - especially when you stop
  • Wear sunglasses even at dusk to prevent bugs from attaching themselves to your eyeballs
  • Try to keep your mouth closed to prevent said bugs from flying in
  • You're supposed to yell, "On your left!" when approaching other bikers. (Hey, I actually passed another biker today - a guy! and he had better equipment than me!)
  • Wear the bike shorts even if you think they make your legs look like sausages
  • The bike seat actually does become more comfortable after 5 rides
  • It's okay to grunt and groan loudly going up a steep hill
  • Biking on a really windy day isn't the best idea
  • Cyclists are a friendly group of folks
Questions I still have...
  • What is the proper term for people who ride road bikes? Bikers? Cyclists? Riders?
  • What is the correct greeting when you pass another biker/cyclist/rider - a wave? a nod? I'm getting mixed signals and sometimes none at all
  • Will my thighs get totally huge?

2 comments:

claudia said...

1. Cyclists is good. Rider is good. Biker means (to me anyway) a motorcyclist.

2. Generally we go with no greeting.

3. Don't worry about your thighs, although the front muscle might define a bit. Worry about your calves never fitting into tall boots again!

;-)

rkbnp said...

i agree with cyclist or rider

a slight wave of the hand, even just a slight extension of the fingers seems to be the most common acknowledgement of cyclists in vermont and nh. mass cyclists are generally not as friendly.