Monday, August 25, 2008

Down and Back Along the Merrimack

This past Saturday I finally got out on my road bike for a much needed long solo ride. I went out along the scenic Merrimack River to Newburyport and back in the late afternoon. Total miles: 47. Total ride time: just over 3 hours.
What a beautiful ride on a beautiful day! My friend Sue had introduced me to the route on the north side of the Merrimack a few weeks ago. And my work colleague, Marie, recently introduced me to the south side. Both offer many miles of scenic river views lined with either trees and wildflowers or beautiful waterfront homes.

This was one of my more meditative rides, and it's easy to see why. Riding on peaceful routes like this helps quiet my mind like nothing else.
I started biking to get in physical shape. But as I started expanding my routes and my understanding of what I'm really doing, I realize it's gone far beyond the physical. Biking the many beautiful areas near my home has literally helped me mentally to get past the everyday stresses and see life more clearly. In fact, lately it seems that I'm just using the biking as an excuse to get to that place of quiet calm that I can only reach when I'm out there on my long solo rides.

No comments: