Monday, August 18, 2008

Changing Gears

This past weekend I changed gears a bit. I dusted off my old mountain bike and headed out for some off road (or more accurately, off paved road) biking.

We were up north for our annual family camping trip. Our favorite spot is a cabin located several hours away in the middle of nowhere. Nothing but a river, the mountains, blue sky and wildlife greet us every year. Just what the doctor ordered after a very stressful week!

Our cabin is located 9 miles down a gated dirt road. As you can see from the shot below, this was a perfect spot to get in some extra training miles.
Much of the ride is flat along the river but it is quite hilly and curvy at times. The potholes were out in full force this summer after all the rain, so fat, knobby mountain bike tires were a must.
Below is the footbridge we need to cross to get to our cabin. Before it was built a few years ago, the only way to get across the river was to drive or wade, depending on the height of the river that week. An unexpected heavy rainstorm could raise the river a few feet, so careful planning was always required. It's a far drop from the bridge to the river so no wobbling on the bike is allowed!
Here's a shot of me at the end of my ride taken by my husband. Although I missed the fit and comfort of my road bike this weekend, I had a great 18 mile adventure along the river and through the woods. During my time out, I also fit in a few off bike hikes to check out unchartered swimming and fishing holes. And as with all my rides so far, I was able to spot some little known treasures that I never would have seen from the car.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like it was very pretty and adventurous up there. I hope you had fun and had a very nice workout.