Thursday, July 30, 2009

In Memory and In Honor

Why am I riding in the Pan-Mass Challenge for the first time this year? What's my motivation?

I ride in memory and in honor of the following family and friends:

This is my Aunt Doris, whose life was cut short by ovarian cancer in 2005. Although we lived many miles apart, she was always my favorite aunt - so warm, loving and generous. She lives on in our hearts and memories.
I also ride in memory of friend and fellow mom Carol, who was taken too young from her family in 2007. She was a loving wife and mother and a gentle soul. Through her death, Carol taught us all about life.
Finally, I ride in honor of my friend Tim. His is a survival story. Diagnosed last year with stage III colon cancer, he is now cancer-free due to early detection and targeted treatment. His battle taught me all about resilience in the face of life's unexpected and unfair turns.
Riding the PMC is my way of supporting the fight against cancer. The challenge of riding 165 miles pales in comparison to the battle these three and so many others have faced.

But hopefully, every mile will take us closer to a cure for cancer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great note, Lisa! You give us all inspiration, and I hope to soon follow in your footsteps and take on a challenge that I can put behind me! Thanks for helping me think about setting a goal and going after it with energy and motivation!

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Dan said Lisa.

Marcia