Monday, July 27, 2009

Final Push

Yesterday I did my last big training ride before the PMC. I rode in the Cycle for Shelter which supports Emmaus, Inc, a non-profit organization providing housing and services to the homeless in Haverhill. I rode in this event last year and really enjoyed it.

My initial plan was to ride the 100 mile course with a friend. But ultimately, given a variety of circumstances, I wound up solo riding "just" 62 miles, or a 100 km.

It was a beautiful course up into NH and along the coast of Hampton, Rye and inland towards Exeter. Here's one shot I took along Rt. 1A in North Hampton, which I was rode on just a few short weeks ago.
Initially, I thought I'd be dealing with thunderstorms given the forecast. Thankfully, the course successfully dodged them but it turned out to be an absolutely sweltering day as you can see from the haze.

I had a great ride but came to the realization that any solo ride over 60-70 miles is too long. I like company for these big efforts! Thankfully, I'll have plenty of company to look forward to this coming weekend at the PMC.

No comments: