Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Kickin' Butt

My butt, that is...  This past weekend I got out for two back to back power rides - 40 miles on Saturday and just under 30 on Sunday.  

I had my first of the season wind-free day on Saturday, taking a nice rural route through North Andover, Boxford, Topsfield, Hamilton, Ipswich and back. What a pleasure.  Here's a picture of the church in Topsfield Center.
On Sunday I went out and back to Byfield to watch my son's lacrosse game.  The route back takes me up one of the biggest monster hills in the area. It almost sucked the life out of me as I tried to maintain a speed of at least 5 mph so I wouldn't fall off my bike.  Thankfully, I made it and was rewarded with a 31 mph sprint down the backside. But clearly I need more uphill work.

I hope to eventually work up to 7 - 9 hours per week as the spring progresses and we move into summer.  This weekend I was on the bike almost 5 hours, so I'll be in good shape if I can repeat this formula in addition to some lighter weekday rides.

1 comment:

claudia said...

Nice work on that monster hill! Hill work is super important to bike fitness. I don't them (sadly, my other half does) but they are necessary.