Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The First 100

I've got the first 100 miles of training under my belt and all I have to say is this: Boy, was I out of shape!

These initial miles have felt so hard. I'd like to say it is because I've chosen hilly routes on excessively raw and windy days (which I think I have). But unfortunately, I think it's simply because I'm out of biking shape.

Why is it that it takes so long to build, but then falls off so fast? That's just not right. Plus, it seems that being in shape in other ways, like through running or walking regularly, doesn't really do much in the bike shape department.

All I know is this can't have anything to do with getting older, right?

The only choice here, though, is to get my butt back out there regulary and keep pushing forward. And just maybe, the second 100 won't be as hard as the first.

3 comments:

claudia said...

I blamed the wind this weekend, so you can too!

You'll whip yourself into riding shape much sooner than you think.

Anonymous said...

I've read that cross-training can actually hinder the sport you are concentrating on, at least after a point. The mechanics are too different (running/biking/swimming).

That's not to say it's not good for you.

Unknown said...

Yeah, LISA! I am so proud of you! We will talk soon!!!