Monday, April 19, 2010

Repair Work: The Rider (Part II)

Here it is six weeks after my accident and I'm still working on the emotional repair.  It would be so much easier if my wounds hadn't been so visible.

I know I'm healing extremely well but I'm tired of feeling "marred".  I look in the mirror constantly and see a face that is marred.  That's all I see and I can't get past it.  Flawed. Imperfect.  Injured.  Marred.

My upper lip and chin are still discolored, though at least they've faded to the pink hues.  Although my lip still feels split to some extent, I have regained most of my lip line.  But the texture on my upper lip looks suspect and I'm starting to worry the skin there will never be smooth again.

Family and friends have been so supportive through all of this and I'm so thankful for that. Most have commented on my amazing healing abilities and tell me I barely look any different than before.  But I still worry.  I pray I'll get my old face back exactly as it was.

Did I appreciate it enough back then?  I'm sure I didn't.  But I know I'll appreciate it fully if I ever get it back again.

2 comments:

claudia said...

Oh, I completely understand. I'd feel the same way about my face.

Have you been able to make things better with some strategic makeup application?

Lisa said...

Haven't tried any makeup yet since I've had it so covered in ointment. That's a great idea, though, and I'll give it a try. Thanks, Claudia!