Monday, March 29, 2010

Repair Work: The Bike

This is a happy story and involves the repair of my bike.

Immediately following my accident, I had been so focused on my own repair that I forgotten the other victim of that fateful day:
my bike.

As I said earlier, for two weeks my bike sat quietly in the garage - neglected, spattered with blood, immobilized by a rogue stick locked in the front fork.  A sad site indeed.

But immediately after I wiped it down and loaded into my van, I drove it to my favorite bike shop, Cycle Loft in Burlington.  Although I didn't buy my bike there, I've been to the service department a few times at the recommendation of my friend Drew and always found them extremely helpful and friendly.  My plan was to tell the guys briefly what happened, leave the bike there to be repaired and then go back several days later to pick it up.

Instead what happened was this: I was greeted right away by an experienced mechanic.  He took my bike, put it up on the rack and began to check it out.  He asked what happened.  He cringed and expressed sympathy. I showed him my stitches and the teeth I lost. He pointed to the teeth he had lost in an accident. I told him I wanted to get back on but didn't know how or when.  He talked about the emotions of falling, what it takes to get back on and his sense that I was the kind of rider that would get back on.  He took the time and made a connection.

We talked about ten minutes as he worked.  When he was finished, he introduced himself as Sean (I believe), asked me my name, shook my hand and gave me back my bike.  No charge for the repair.  (Fortunately - and I guess I have my face to thank for this -  my bike didn't suffer too much damage in the fall).  I left the shop inspired and smiling.  Up until that point since my accident, I really hadn't smiled much.

Bike repair and rider therapy - exactly what my bike and I needed.

1 comment:

claudia said...

Clearly you didn't go through this in order to provide blog fodder, but what a story in this post and the last one!

I've always liked the guys at Cycle Loft repair dept. Good on them for giving you something to smile about.