Sunday, January 4, 2009

Speaking of vacations...

I mentioned in my last post that one of the things I did during my "staycation" was to book the next real family vacation for April.  We were excited to head back to the Florida Keys to the beautiful Cheeca Lodge, where we enjoyed several days last April.  I posted a few pictures from the area here last month.

Well how freaky is this? The day after I booked our vacation I found out the Cheeca had a major fire on New Year's Eve - the worst on the Keys in 20 years. Thankfully, no one was hurt, but the hotel is closed indefinitely for repairs, which are estimated to be in the millions.  How scary.  And what a huge bummer.  

So on to plan B, which we are still formulating.  One radical idea floating in our family is to forgo the family vacation altogether this year and buy a used bass boat so our son can continue his obsession and passion for fishing.  

This would be a funny turn of events given that for years, my husband and I always said we'd never buy a boat.  Never say never, as I said before. Or at least, not yet.

2 comments:

claudia said...

That is a huge bummer indeed.

I've heard that owning a boat is like taking a cold shower while tearing up $100 bills. Full disclosure: I'm not a fan of the water.

;-)

Lisa said...

I know. I've heard it said that the best days of a boat owner's life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat. I like to think we might be different, though...