Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year Vision

Because I read too many Oprah magazines during my vacation .... and because I had too much time on my hands.... and because I recently stumbled upon the quote, "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there," I decided to take my goal setting very seriously for the new year. 

So seriously, in fact, that over vacation I actually created a poster size visual depiction of my goals with themes and pictures and it's now framed and located above the computer I'm typing from right now.

I know. At some level this is laughable.  But I love this kind of stuff. It appeals to my undeniable need for order and organization in my life.  And it also gives me the illusion of control.  

So here I have my 2009 "vision board", a work of art (to use the phrase loosely) depicting my hopes and dreams for 2009.  

The themes of my goals are relatively generic and simple and shared by most.  The thing that is so powerful, though, is seeing a visual depiction  - rather than a written list - of those goals. It's really quite empowering, actually.

Fitness is one of my main themes, not suprisingly, and I'm planning some big things in 2009 to take my biking to the next level.  

One of which is a 2000 mile goal for the year.  I rode 1430 in 2008, but I started a bit late in mid May and it took a while to build up my weekly mileage.  Maybe since I stated this goal out loud, it will now be as achievable as my first century. 

It remains to be seen whether my vision board will be effective or not. But I'm hoping that by seeing a graphical depiction of my goals on a regular basis, it will help make my vision for my life a reality in 2009.

1 comment:

claudia said...

That is so great you've organized your intentions for the year in this way. I think your bicycling goal is absolutely achievable.