Friday, December 5, 2008

To PMC or Not To PMC

I'm referring, of course, to the Pan Mass Challenge, the massive bike riding fundraiser for the Jimmy Fund. Should I go for it next August or not?

I said in a previous post that I am a PMC rider wannabe. Sign ups are in mid January for the limited openings for first time riders. If I'm lucky and on the ball, I'll get a spot for the very popular two day ride from Wellesley to Provincetown with my friend Sue, who has ridden it several times in the past.

Biking two long rides back to back will be a challenge. But the bigger challenge, unfortunately, is the $4,200 minimum fundraising requirement. That's pretty steep, especially in this economy. And if I can't raise that amount, the balance goes on my credit card. Ouch.

Something to think about during the next month. But if I don't go for it, at least I know there are plenty of other great riding opportunities awaiting me in 2009.

3 comments:

claudia said...

That is a pretty daunting minimum. Consider riding the MS ride with me...two days, Quincy to Provincetown and the fundraising minimum is $500.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Why not try the PMC's Sunday one day ride. Lower fundraising requirements while still being part of the event. Read about it on the PMC blog: http://panmasschallenge.wordpress.com

John Marchiony, Co-founder, Team Avanti said...

Lisa,
I've ridden the PMC 3 times and have blown through the fundraising minimum each year befor the ride. I think there are 3 keys:
1) start fundraising early.
2) tell everyone you come in contact with that you're riding to eradicate cancer, and that 100 percent of the $ raised by riders goes to fund research - that's unprecedented.
3) ride for others, not for yourself. Ride to honor your friends, your family,a and their friends, and their families. Think of it as moving prayer for those who are, or have battled cancer. Ask about those people, learn about them, wish for them, and cry for them. Your relationships will grow in beautiful ways, and so will your ability to generate support for the fight against cancer.

Good luck! If you decide to ridw, please let me know - I' dbe thrilled to pedal with you.

John Marchiony
Team Avanti
PMC ID: TA0044